We had some bad news recently and I have been putting off writing about it. We were recently told by the staff at the Immigration Department in Nepal that if we applied for a marriage visa they wouldn’t process it.
We have had a long ongoing battle with the paperwork for our marriage certificate. I am almost ready to give up but then Mero Budda would never be able to visit Australia with me. But I am leaving things out so let me start at the start…
We met a year ago in a bar, like many couples. He was drunk, I was amused. A few months later I had to return to Australia as my tourist visa was over. I promised to return and meant it. He promised to wait, and much to my surprise, actually meant it. We emailed, and talked on skype every single day I was gone. For Mero Budda this meant an expensive trip to the cyber each night after work.
It was a really hard time for us. Some nights the connection would drop out after a few minutes. Some nights we couldn’t have video, some nights we couldn’t have sound. Eventually we promised each other we would do everything we could to stay together so we wouldn’t have to do the long distance thing again.
Fast forward five months and we are married.
BUT STILL NO VISA.
We went to the temple. Our families danced and ate. I have been walking around with red stuff on for two weeks. Still no visa.
We went through the long CDO process, paid a lot of money and still no visa.
We went to court and got a legal document stating we are married and still no visa.
We went to immigration four times. The staff there said it would be no problem to get a visa, just wait till my tourist visa runs out and then fill in the form. When we arrived to get the form we were informed they would not process the visa unless we paid “some money”. We returned with “some money”. And still no visa.
Sadly my tourist visa is over and even though we are married and trying to make a life here we have to say good bye to Nepal for a few months. We found out about the visa last Wednesday and I have to leave the country by this Sunday.
I am heading to India with no plan, no real destination and no idea when I can come home. The best case is we might be able to return in July, worst case, January 2012. I have a house to pack up and a new family to wave good bye…