Monday, April 18, 2011

Why don't you like pretty things?

This is an umbrella (for anyone not up on their Kuta styles). It is from here.

Mero Budda asked me recently why i don't like pretty things. When it comes to jewellery and clothes we have very different ideas on what is nice. He has Nepali taste, I do not have Nepali taste.

I think Saris and Kutas look gorgeous on other women. I don't have the elegance to pull them off. I end up looking like a tourist who desperately wants to fit in. Also I am not accustom to all that sparkle. I grew up in the 80s, in the country, in Australia... we did big t-shirts, big pants, and big hair... but never big sparkles.

I am trying to adjust. First I got a kuta. It is brown and gold with small shinny mirrors on it. I quite like standing in the sun and reflecting little diamonds everywhere. I feel a bit like a mobile disco ball and that makes me happy.

Now i've gone one step too far too fast.

Mero Budda's Mumma told me I needed something fancy for the day after the wedding. I wanted to look nice. I didn't want to look like a frumpy tourist so we went shopping. I am now the owner of an umbrella. An umbrella is a VERY fancy style of kuta. I don't think it is actually spelt UMBRELLA but it sounds like it. My new umbrella is blue and silver. It has see-through arms and five different types of sparkly sequiny things and a lot of netting. It is... different (read hideous). I'm not sure what came over me in the store.

I am not putting any photos up yet. Mostly because i don't want everyone to laugh at me looking like Nepali Barbie but also because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

*** Ever since I wrote this post i have had this stuck in my head. I thought I'd share it all with you so you can be annoyed too.


3 comments:

  1. One of these rainy days, I'm sure you'll decide to put up your picture wearing an umbrella!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean, nepali taste can seem totally over the top, but recently Ive decided to embrace the 'bling' when I look at photos of me at a wedding I look so pale and washed out in my simple brown dress amongst everyone in their amazing sarees and i have to say it was fun.
    ally

    ReplyDelete